Monday, November 16, 2015

FieldPost6 Beachwood High School Visit

During my fourth observation, I was sitting at lunch with the social studies department. I am assuming one of the teachers had a bad day because she looked at me and said, “Are you sure you want to get into this hell hole? I am sure you have other strengths you can utilize, right? You seem nice and kind, you don’t want this to burn you out.” As I awkwardly and nervously laugh, she told me she was kidding but there was obviously some truth behind her statement. Then the other teachers continued to say how it is not so much the kids that make it a “hell hole” but more so the parents and administration. It was a little discouraging to hear that about a profession I am so excited to get into.


After lunch Mr. Velotta called each of his students up individually to check their homework. Then he started his lesson called “WW1 Breaks Out”. He had a few sentence on each slide, but then elaborated them verbally. He was very enthusiastic and used students as examples to better understand the lesson and keep them engaged. His lecture was about 55 minutes long but in the middle he played a 6 minute video to break up the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment