Monday, November 16, 2015

Gearity FieldBlog

Lauree P Gearity Elementary school is a public school located in University Heights. The elementary school consists of grades pre-k through fifth. I was looking forward to go to Gearity because I plan to be an AYA teacher, but I was anxious to see how early childhood would be because I hadn’t been in an elementary in so long. I have two younger sisters but they are in middle school and high school; if I am ever around little kids it is normally at youth cheerleading camps, which does not happen often.
When we first arrived everyone received name tags. Then the announcements came on and two younger boys, I assume in fourth grade, said the pledge of allegiance. Then afterwards five students from the fifth grade pointed us into different directions. The students that walked me to my classroom were so talkative, energetic, and adorable. I was surprised, to say the least, at how social and conversational they were. They were very helpful and funny. One of the girls was running for student council and made a sign with rope that hung around her neck that read “Vote for Toni”.

We went to a kindergarten classroom. They were reading books they chose by themselves. Then they put them away and went to a colorful rug. They sang songs to introduce the lesson. They were learning how to count by 1s, 5s, and 10s. They also were learning their sounds. It was so cute. It was fun to watch but I don’t think I could teach such a young age. I would have loved to see a third or fourth grade classroom because I might have been able to see myself teaching that age group instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment