Sunday, October 25, 2015

BlogPost 8

In my future teaching career, I would like to teach either high school History or English. For this imaginary lesson, I am going to focus on History, specifically U.S. Government with the help of current events. For example, if it is a Government class, and the students are learning about the political parties (Republican and Democratic), I could show news clips of the presidential election. Fox News, CNN News, and MSNBC, more times than not, will show the same events, but discuss them in different ways. Fox News tends to lean more Republican, CNN normally leans more Democratic, and MSNBC leans more towards the left on the liberal side. I would show all three clips, and then discuss why each news channel had different views, the reasoning behind it, and then open the floor to the students to share their views on each topic.

This in itself is bridge building. The news channels connect back to the lesson, and it links classwork with everyday life. It is so easy for students to regurgitate what they hear at home when it comes to political parties, whether it be Republican or Democratic. This will help students understand political parties from both stand points, then decide their outlook on the topic without a bias atmosphere. I feel that is necessary for students to be aware of what is going on in the world around them. When I was in high school, my peers and I loved when teachers would show current events, and then discuss them afterwards. Sometimes it would break out into a debate, but it would always leave us more knowledgeable than we were when we walked into class.


No comments:

Post a Comment