Monday, October 12, 2015

BlogPost5

My high school is located in a very suburban, white, wealthy area. At my high school, addressing homosexuality and heterosexuality was quite divided. There was a group of boys who were totally against gays and lesbians. We had a history teacher who was gay, and some of the male students refused to take his class (which they really missed out on, because he was an awesome teacher and taught one of my favorite classes). This group of boys was very conservative, Republican, and basically regurgitated anything their parents said. On the other side was a group of both boys and girls. This group was extremely liberal and democratic. There were multiple feminists and plenty of human rights activists; they were very quick to speak their minds, and happy to share. But, with this divide came conflict. There were countless Twitter and Instagram fights for everyone to see. Debates in our government classes over controversial topics got heated, and people would get extremely into them. Although those two groups were divided, all the other students kind of floated in the middle. Some students were all for gay rights, but never spoke out about it. Some students used derogatory terms. Some students were against it, but stayed quiet about it.

Regardless of where each student stood, there was always support from some teachers and a LGBT program. In my school that I teach at one day, I plan to be open with my students. I plan to leave it up to them if they want to talk to me about issues going on in their lives. I probably will not reach out to them unless I feel pulled to do so. I hope that in the school I teach one day there is a LGBT program. If there isn’t one, I don’t know if I would start one. Although I am all for gay rights, I am not extremely passionate about the subject. To start a program like that, I feel as though you should be fervent about the gay and lesbian topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment