Tuesday, October 27, 2015

FieldPost 3 Beachwood High School

I was placed in Mr. Velotta's classroom for my independent observations. During my first visit, I arrived around their lunch period; therefore, I ate with the social studies department. They were all very nice and welcoming. There were some Ohio University and Miami graduates.
After lunch, I observed Mr. Velotta's classroom. The desks were set up as a "V" shape, which I found more engaging than the typical rows. The room was heavily decorated with spongebob (literally spongebob everywhere). Mr. Velotta said that everything was donated to him by students (Spongebob happy meal toy's, stuffed animal Spongebobs, painting of Spongebob characters, etc). This showed me that not only he participates with his students, but they enjoy him enough to want to participate in his collection. Also throughout the change of classes from lunch to last period, multiple students stopped in his classroom just to hello. I loved this. It projected that he is very talkative, involved, and cares about his students.
During class, the students worked on group projects relating to Big Business. Throughout the period Mr. Velotta was very energetic and involved. In the beginning he told them the consequences if they goof off and do not take the project seriously. However, the students were perfectly behaved, very into their projects, and on task. They were drawing detailed Spongebob characters on the posters, and Mr. Velotta loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment